On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Edward K. Ream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As I understand the links you gave recently, the strategy will be to
> provide scintilla-compatible files to drive auto-completion.  This can
> be done off line for standard Python modules, and can be done in the
> background for files that Leo is editing.  Presumably Leo would work
> on previously saved files to maximize the chance that the files
> contain valid info.

Yes. We could use/steal eric4-api.py to do this
(http://osdir.com/ml/ide.eric/2007-11/msg00009.html)

(I have attached the script).

> This still leaves the question of determining the type of variables
> and ivars.  Some kind of duck typing my help.  I don't have a clear
> sense of what is possible or of what rope or pysmell presently do, nor
> do I have any idea of the kind of info resides in scintilla
> auto-completion files, or how scintilla uses this info.

Scintilla auto-completion files have ctags-like information (functions
& arguments).

I guess my point is - this issue is not worth thinking too much about
at the moment. Scintilla should provide "good enough" autocompletion,
and it's better to let others (scintilla people, eric4...) work on
this and rather concentrate to more crucial things of getting the Qt
plugin working properly in the first place (tree updates, key
handling, menus, icons...). Also, I'm personally more interested in
reading source trees in Leo (and C / C++, not python) than writing
source code, though now that scintilla can be used (well, soon at
least ;-) I could be swayed to start doing actual code authoring
inside leo as well...

> autocompletion and type os.path.j<tab>.  Furthermore, Leo already does
> what is, imo, a better job than most editors in showing possible
> completions and inserting text directly into the body area.  In other
> words, there is likely to be some competition between the scintilla
> way of showing completions and the already-existing Leo way.

Yeah, we'll see what works best. However, I wouldn't start shoehorning
the leo completion system to scintilla until it is evident that it's
actually needed. Again, it's better to let other people write code for
us and enjoy the flow ;-)

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio