...some thinking out loud from a user perspective, in response to the
quoted phrases below but perhaps only related by association.

> What is the status of easily configured right click menus?
>
> Can I associate a command with a rclick menu item?

The best Menu (or Mouse) to Keyboard assignment relationship that I've
experience to date is in Gimp where:

a) keyboard shortcuts apear after the menu item/command name, and
b) the shortcuts can be dynamically defined at run time by hilighting
the menu item and pressing the new key combo

Admittedly there are difficulties with (b) because you can't see what
all the current assignments are. Perhaps this could be remedied by
quick reference chart in a side pane when defining key-combos.

> I prefer choosing from a list of options to memorizing them.

Me too. I'm addicted to interfaces which have find-as-you-type with
tab or enter completion.  Examples which come to mind immediatelyare
Gmail's "Move to or apply Label" and Google Desktop Search's
[ctrl][ctrl] [type application name]. Here's a roundup of simialr apps
for Windows
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ReplacingStartRunTheQuestContinues.aspx
and screencast which gives an indication of what it feels like
http://bigmojo.net/monsters/?p=41#

-matt