On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Mark Lippmann <mark.lippm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> somewhere, and, after looking through it, many things became clear. Please
> mention quickstart.leo in the online documentation to ease entry for future
> users. Lots of the awesome tips and examples in quickstart.leo should be

Good point. quickstart.leo should be the first think a new Leo user
checks out (long before venturing to read the docs).

> added to the online documentation. (quickstart.leo should stay where it is,
> of course, it's fantastic to have all those examples right "in the
> trenches," as it were. If more can be added to it, even better.)

Yeah, quickstart.leo will definitely grow in the future.

> inside the minibuffer and type something. alt-x is buried in chapter 18 of
> the online documentation as far as I could tell. Alt-x should be mentioned
> immediately in the online documentation, and, clicking in the minibuffer
> should have the same effect as typing Alt-x

It's in the quickstart.leo:

QQQ

Minibuffer is the text input area at the bottom of the
screen, familiar from emacs and vi. Press alt-x to enter a
minibuffer command (e.g. alt-x fill-paragraph). Press ctrl+p
(repeat-complex-command) folowed by Enter to re-run a
previous minibuffer command.

QQQ

> *"alt-x print-commands" needs to be mentioned prominently in the online
> documentation. It would have put me at ease much more quickly to have a
> complete sense of what I could do. I'm the kind of person that would read
> the entire list and try the interesting ones.

Ok, gotta add that to quickstart.leo (you can contribute it too,
actually, if you are comfortable with bzr).

> *I realize that programmers and moderators have vacations, jobs, and lives,

And kids ;-).

> but it was very discouraging when it took a day or two for my google-group
> question to leave moderation. It seemed like it went into the void, and

I didn't know the group was moderated. Did you actually join the
leo-editor group?

> *It shouldn't have required a great leap of logic to hit cntrl+f to do a
> find, but I was again dumbfounded when there wasn't a "Find" or "Search"
> button on the find tab. It made the tab seem broken, and that combined with
> the fact that I couldn't type in the minibuffer *really* made Leo seem
> broken, and therefore a foolish investment of the limited time that I have.
> (I, of course, want to learn to never touch the mouse, but the learning
> curve should be smooth.)

Yeah, find tab is not what it should be. I consider it broken too.
I've been thinking of implementing an incremental search plugin that
would look roughly like this:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/incrementalsearch.png
(btw, I consider Qt Creator to be pretty close to "perfect interface"
and something we can learn a lot from).

> *I'm using Mac OS X. The dependencies for installing Leo were pretty clear,
> but, of course, I didn't read too closely about the dependencies for the
> dependencies. I found my answer in the google-group, but my impatience and
> skimming cost me time, frustration, and contributed to my almost giving up
> on Leo. Please add a helpful hint for us mac users about the full install
> process for a naive newcomer. (Of course, I'm grateful that Leo works on a
> mac at all.)

This part of documentation where actual mac users need to chip in. The
install story is luckily much simpler in Linux and Windows...

> *In some places, an @@ is used to turn off settings or commands that can
> easily be activated by removing one of the @'s. This is a nice, intuitive,
> thing to do, but only if someone lets you in on the secret. I was going
> crazy trying to change settings until I actually started reading and
> realized I needed to delete one of the @'s.

I think quickstart does a decent job in teaching this in a subtle
fashion ;-). Note that @@ is not special in anyway - you could as well
write &settings, FOOsettings or whatever.

> *I offer these observations in the hopes that they will lower the cost of

Many thanks for these! These are actually quite simple things to fix,
so we just need people to bring them up (to find out what's worth
doing or fixing - if nobody complains, these seem like non-issues and
remain unattended).

> it (and that's what made me take the Leo leap in the first place). This
> experience, though, has made me more aware of the elusive, holy-grail of "it
> just works."

Yep, there's more way to go before we are at "just works". But it's
definitely something where we want to be. Notably, I'm personally on
continuous mini-crusade against having to deal with @settings for
normal operation ;-).

--
Ville M. Vainio