Hi Rob and Edward,

I bear good tidings of great joy!

I recently received a new MacBook Pro and did a fresh upgrade to Mac
OS 10.7 (Lion). I then used the opportunity to test out installation
procedures of various software on a clean system. My main finding is
that the excellent Homebrew (mxcl.github.com/homebrew/) makes things
much easier these days.

Why Homebrew? It does not try to replace every single bit of
functionality on your Mac with their own version, like Macports or
fink. It reuses the existing libraries as far as possible. No need to
reinstall Python, for example (one of my pet gripes when people try to
install new software on their Macs, and the source of much confusion
and pain). It installs to /usr/local, the standard place to find
third-party libraries and headers, instead of the obscure /opt or /sw.
It's simple to use and to extend.

I last installed Leo on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) back in the Tk days, and
wondered what it looked like in Qt. All the horror stories of PyQT on
Mac discouraged me from trying this before, so I was keen to see if
Homebrew helps. Here is my installation write-up:

- Make sure you have Xcode installed
  (test it by confirming that "gcc" runs in the Terminal)

- In preparation for homebrew, the best option in my opinion is
  to delete /usr/local via::

  sudo rm -rf /usr/local

  and install any software in it via homebrew instead. If this step
  fills you with dread and you do not want to lose your beloved
  third-party software, the second-best option is to make sure you
  have write permission for the directory via::

  sudo chown -R <your user name>:admin /usr/local

  If you don't know your username, run "whoami". :-) This is
  useful because homebrew actually discourages you from
  installing third-party software as the superuser (the usual Mac
  apps in /Applications are also installed as the normal user,
  for that matter).

- Install Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/) by running
  the following command in the Terminal::

  /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"

- Run "brew update" to get the latest formulas

- Now install PyQT (yes, that's it!)::

  brew install pyqt

- Run "brew doctor" and check any further suggestions to improve
  your system.

- Add the following lines to your ~/.bash_profile
  (or ~/.profile on Leopard)::

  export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
  # This is for SIP (and PyQT) as suggested by Homebrew
  export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python:$PYTHONPATH

- Open a new Terminal tab / window so that the above settings
  take effect, and install Leo. I downloaded the Leo-4.9-final-a.zip,
  unzipped it, and ran "python launchLeo.py" inside the Leo
  directory.

We should consider adding a Homebrew formula for Leo. This will
simplify the process even further, to simply "brew install leo". I
started on this, but wasn't sure where to put the various Leo files in
the system hierarchy. The Debian package can give some clues here, but
I haven't looked at it yet.

Now I just have to start using Leo after all these years of checking
it out... :-)

Regards,
Ludwig