I had the same problem in the past. If I simply downloaded the
installer from the website, bzr would choke with out of memory errors
on my windows machine, WHEN DOING A CHECKOUT FROM AN EMPTY DIRECTORY.

I solved my problem by installing a 64bit version of python 2.7, and
installing bzr from

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

I also managed to get it working by doing a checkout on a linux
machine, zipping the whole folder, unpacking on windows and updating
there (phew)...

Again, it only had this problem when doing a checkout from scratch...
If the daily snapshots where true zipped checkouts, bzr update would
work with a standard bzr instalation...

Was that clear?

Fernando.