>Is it too late to claim English isn't my first language?  :-}
neither is my first language.

I didn't think that /etc/hosts should be resolved as /home/.../etc/hosts
My idea was that we should deduce root folder as root of Leo file. On linux
machines it would be '/', while on windows it would be <Drive>:\ .
Concatenating, that way deduced root with the given absolute path in
heading we would get correct absolute path on both windows and linux. I
have no idea what would be correct on Macintosh but, AFAIK support for Mac
is given up recently. Maybe some Mac users could suggest solution.

I agree that current directory has no meaning in Leo. As a matter of fact
executing script could easily change cwd. OTOH folder of Leo file has
unique meaning on both systems and root of absolute path to Leo file is
something that we could define on:

   1.  Windows as <Drive letter>:\
   2. Linux as /

I did forget network paths like  "\\machine\share\path\file.leo". That
could be the 3rd case where root folder is computed as \\machine\share\

On my Ubuntu samba shares are mounted as ~/.gvfs/sharename, so I guess that
on linux we should check for special case if absolute path to leo file
starts with ~/.gvfs/sharename/  then root should be computed as
~/.gvfs/sharename/

PS: reading again what I've just written I am not sure that I made it
understandable at all. If it's not clear I am sorry...