On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 06:38:48 +1300
David McNab <davidmcna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thought I've had is for the web app to have all nodes, by default,
> flagged as read-only. If wanting to edit a node's contents, a hot-key
> sends a 'lock request' to the server, gets an "ok" or "not ok"
> response. If ok, then the user can then start editing the node, until
> s/he 'saves' the node, which then releases the lock.
>
> The concept of a 'lock' would mean the exclusive ability to edit a
> node's existence, contents and child nodes.
>
> Any thoughts? Forgive me if it's been discussed n times before.

I don't think it's been discussed at this level of detail before.  I
started something along these lines, jQuery and maybe CoffeeScript,
can't remember, but it's stalled and I haven't touched it for a while.
It used leoBridge.py as the Leo backend, really just trying to get
collaborative editing of trees working, although single user would be
very useful too.  A model that required a server running Python though,
not sure if that's what you're thinking, vs. pure js.

Anyway, to the specific question of node locking, I think what you
suggest would work fine for individual nodes.  The tricky part to make
collaborative is moving parts of the tree around, although I imagine
this has been solved before somewhere.  I guess locking the node and
all its parents would be an option.