I looked into this and I found a place in the code that may explain why
"Suboutline only" does not work as I expect. This function in the node
find.initBatchCommands (sets in_headline):

def initBatchCommands (self):

   '''Init for find-all and replace-all commands.'''

   c = self.c

   self.errors = 0

   self.in_headline = self.search_headline # Search headlines first.

   # Select the first node.

   if self.suboutline_only or self.node_only:

       self.p = c.p.copy()

   else:

       p = c.rootPosition()

       if self.reverse:

           while p and p.next():

               p = p.next()

           p = p.lastNode()

       self.p = p

   # Set the insert point.

   self.initBatchText()

It looks like if self.suboutline_only is true it would do the same
searching (just the current node) as if I selected "Node only".

I'm not sure what the logic is actually traverse just the suboutline or if
this is even the code in question.