I think it would be nice if there was a process in place to differentiate
essential plugins in a community sanctioned, official, and at least
partially objective way. They could be called "official plugins" and it
would provide a much smaller subset of the most important plugins for new
users to explore.

Official plugins would ideally meet some higher quality standard and
unmaintained plugins whose functionally degrades as Leo changes could lose
"official" status.

I believe that this step is important in creating a friendly "default" user
experience for new users. I have expressed this before in a less official
manner but now that the idea of marketing Leo has come up I'd like to get
people's opinion in this context.