On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
john lunzer <lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand their general purpose but not why that xkcd strip is
> funny. What are people using them for, why post your public key? I've
> encountered public/private key use for encryption a couple times, and
> it wasn't funny.

Hi John,

You post your public key so that anyone can use it to send you
encrypted messages that no one but you can read, without even having to
make other contact first.  To me the strip is mildly amusing because no
one ever does that, you're basically saying to the world "here, send me
a secret message", and the answer is, unsurprisingly, crickets chirping.

If you post your private key instead, you're changing the message to
the world to "here, steal my identity", and I guess it's cynically
amusing to suggest that that message would generate much more attention.

But I didn't think it was once of xkcd's most amusing.
https://xkcd.com/353/ and https://xkcd.com/1205/ are a couple of my
favorites, although they're not really funny, exactly, either.

Cheers -Terry