The convention tends to be using @settings trees and the appropriate c.config.getX() methods, but obviously that only works for scripts run within Leo. If you're writing a script for use both within and outside of Leo, you might want to go the other way.

My personal Leo scripts tend to hold their own configuration data in a << declarations >> node, as a part of the script tree itself -- I rarely use the same script across multiple workbooks.

But really, it's completely up to you -- Leo is flexible enough to accommodate nearly everyone's individual coding patterns and workflows. There's generally no shortage of ways to do things in Leo :)

-->Jake