A couple of links related to "versioning"  just in case they serve as an
inspiration:

http://coreobject.org/technotes/
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmpaAunTEQ0)
https://github.com/mirage/irmin
(http://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2015/04/28/cuekeeper-gitting-things-done-in-the-browser/)

This is what it came to my mind when the discussion about "multithread"
graphs started but not till recently I found real implementations of that
idea. Too bad none of them is written in python.