It isn't enough to Alt-X: bookmarks-show. The bookmarks reload in new pane
but if you close the leo file, you are prompted to save, and the bookmarks
settings are not saved.
The file reloads as if no changes had been made to the bookmarks.

I found the best way is right-click 'Insert' (hover 'Insert an empty pane
here') then select the bookmarks node you want to load, then select
'Action' > bookmarks. This reloads the bookmarks setup.
Then you need to right-click over the pane splitter 'Save Layout' enter a
name and OK to save it. If you don't save the layout all the previous
bookmarks actions are lost.

This reminded me that I *had* saved layout names in my leo file, but Leo
could not find the layout names.
So these layout names (identity?) are saved to the per outline persistent
DB.

The fact that I can lose this setup data feels like a bug to me.

Regards
Lewis