Hi,

On 16/02/17 16:54, Edward K. Ream wrote:
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 3:14:33 PM UTC-6, Edward K. Ream wrote:

    On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 10:47:01 AM UTC-6, Offray
    Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

        [The process] seemed more like reading a map and finding where
        I was and then
        finding my way to my intended destination [than] reading the
        manual.
        That "path" is now with me, next time I need to reach similar
        places.

    Seems like an excellent analogy. Reading docs sucks ;-)

This discussion about documentation has been fruitful. Reinhard's observation that we mostly use docs as references is right on target. Some further thoughts:

1. No matter how good long docs are, it is rare that people will read them even once carefully. After that, we just want answers to specific questions.

Agreed.

2. When is the last time you used an index or table of contents? We use google for /everything/ now. Does it really matter how docs are organized? Maybe the very first time...

3. This suggests that we should (no kidding) start paying attention to optimizing google searches on our docs.

In short, google is a highly disruptive technology as far as docs are concerned. This is a new thought today. Not sure what to do with it...

Yesterday was the last time I used index (the interactive one of Org Mode documentation) and all the process I described about looking for videos, watching them and finding my way into a memorable task was made without Google (the search related parts were done with DuckDuckGo, and the videos were wrapped in the DDG viewer instead of SPAMware YouTube). I think that we need to be searchable, browsable and readable from the web, but hopefully in a world were search and google (and Big Brother!) are not synonyms.

I would like Leo interactive documentation to be as easy to browse as Org's and to point to the external world (and of course search and privacy friendly).

Cheers,

Offray