In another thread I wrote:

> Perhaps [ A Brief Summary of Leo <http://leoeditor.com/preface.html>]
should be rewritten in the org-mode intro style, but that's for some other
time.

Actually, now *is *the time.

My competitive juices are flowing. The new intro will directly challenge
org mode. It will do this by showing, with numerous examples, why Leo is
*already
*superior to org mode for scientific computation. Scientists can design
there own Leonine sub-outlines that represent computations and operations.

@button, Leo's API and Leo's DOM, combined with python scripting, are *much*
more convenient and powerful than org-mode.  Simplicity and generality are
more important than a org-mode features.  Leo most definitely has the chops
to support reproducible research, or any other buzzword one wants to use.

Leo 5.5 will have an execute-script-in-common-namespace command. This can
be added with only a few lines of code. It's needed to simulate
pyzo/jupyter/org mode calculations.

Leo 5.5 will also have a show-drawer command. It will pop up a window
showing a special 'core-drawer' uA. Saving the popup will update the uA.
No need for changes to Leo's body pane.

Furthermore, Leo is already vastly superior to org mode for software
development, with features like automatic untangle (updating @<file>
nodes), automatic tangle when saving .leo files, clone-find commands,
clones, etc, Heh. Whenever I make this kind of list, I inevitably forget
things. Like @test, @suite, @button, scripting API, etc. etc.!

So Reinhard's criticisms are bearing fruit. I'll be emphasizing the
problems Leo is designed to solve.  These big tasks are Leo's main purpose.
Sure, you can use Leo for keeping track of your record collection.  Leo
let's you do simple things simply.  But you can also do *complex* things
simply and flexibly. Things like designing a suite of long-running
experiments, documenting them, and ensuring that all code is transparent to
reviewers.  Or developing software like Leo itself. All using Python and
its libraries, not elisp and emacs-only libraries.

I'll be using mostly prose, as I have just done, combined with code
snippets.

Edward

P. S. The easy way to simulate org-mode's window, and *improve* upon it,
will be to allow Leo's body pane to contain multiple, *vertically aligned
*panes.
Like this:

Overall body pane:

pane 1
----- (separator)
pane 2
----- (separator)
pane 3

Users will be able to see the various panes *without* intervening
headlines, although separators may show headlines.  Only one of the panes
will be active.  It is the "real" body pane.  This can be done in a plugin,
I suspect. It will not happen for Leo 5.5, however.

EKR