Hi,

I like how documentation is getting more compact and direct. I wonder if installation instructions could go from the most newbie friendly to the not so newbie ones (maybe after releasing 5.5). So installation should start from the most common used installation method of the intended platform and then go to more powerful ones. For example, running a binary self-contained executable on Windows, a dmg on Mac or apt-rpm on Linux. Of course that creates the problem of packaging, that we have discussed previously Leo's manpower (which is mostly Edward) could be not enough to take the laborious and tedious packaging work.

In the Grafoscopio case, I rely on the Pharo platform to manage packaging and provide prerequisites, which makes installation and updating easy, but I was wondering how Python related projects do this nowadays. One path is Conda and, particularly, Miniconda which manages depedencies and is already packaged for several platforms [1], but seems that a full installation can be overkill for Leo and its prerrequisites [2]. In the Jupyter case the map they provide [3] gives the user and overview of what they want to do, based on the answer the user gives to a question, and they use the external installer method (in their case Anaconda) to the final installation, making it pretty easy [4] ('cause the heavy work is done by conda and not the user/developer). Conda can be also used to upgrade the software, including updating/building from git[5]

[1] https://conda.io/miniconda.html
[2] https://conda.io/docs/install/quick.html
[3] https://jupyter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/projects/content-projects.html
[4] https://jupyter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html
[5] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19042389/conda-installing-upgrading-directly-from-github

I think that this is a path worthy to explore. At the end install instructions, including updating, for Leo could be (following Jupyter) something like:

~~~
# Installing Leo

1. Install miniconda for your platform.
2. Open your operative system command terminal (optional link to details on how to do it each platform).
3. Run from the terminal:
    conda install leo

# Upgrading Leo:

To update Leo to the last prebuild do open a terminal and do:

  conda update leo.

To update Leo by building it to their last development version (from git) do:

  conda build leo.

~~~

As I said, we have something similar for Grafoscopio with Pharo and installing and packaging for several platforms (Win, Mac, Linux) is transparent and updating to the last version is just two clicks away. Feedback has been positive in the workshops about this method, so some similar ideas could work for Leo.

Hope this helps,

Offray