On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 00:57:14 -0700 (PDT)
vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am confident that I can write command to open relevant
> settings file, make change there and save it again

Note that the Settings -> Edit Settings menu item machinery does some
of this.  Well, really it's just copying settings from one file to
another, but if you're heading down the track of making an API for
setting settings, those functions might be informative or might benefit
from whatever you come up with as an alternative implementation.

That code will also create myLeoSettings.leo if needed, which might be
relevant to your work.