I'm wondering if it would be a useful thought experiment to list a
series of "run levels" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel) or
levels of initialization for Leo - just a textual list where we do our
best to be aware of dependencies for each level.
It will be interesting to look at everything with fresh eyes. I welcome any suggestions you may have, tested or not.

Edward

I think Terry's idea is great. I don't know how do Runlevels exactly work in *nix OSs nor what is your idea on how to implement them in Leo, but it occurs to me that it could even be useful to have a *g.initState* ivar or similar that explicits the current initialization "phase" in which Leo is at any moment. This could be leveraged to add asserts all around the initialization code to check that Leo is in fact at the expected initState for that code. At the very least, it may help in the "migration" phase to the new startup code.

What do you think?

Xavier