I was hoping to be able to read into an @clean node instead of using @auto
or @nosent, as I need to cooperate with others, not using Leo.

> > Compatibility with .ipynb files would be nice, particularly in order to
> exchange files, and putting them on the web,
> but also to switch back and forth between Jupyter and Leo.
> I don't think Leo needs to implement all the nice pretty-printing stuff
> (@pyplot), plotting into a qt window is fine,
> although with longer scripts it may be good to be able to select which
> plots to execute, and which not (again @ignore?).
>
> ​What do you mean by compatibility? Are you suggesting that Leo could
> write some parts of outlines as .ipynb files?​

yes. But note, I am only an occasional Jupyter user. Still some people I
work with might be inclined to cooperate via a Jupyter file, while I am
sceptical about them using Leo - sadly.

Jupyter is not a high priority for me. Cooperation on latex files is.
JupyterLab (the new and still unfinished version of Jupiter) seems to have
some nice features, but I guess, I will still continue to work with Leo
instead, because I need more control over the Latex output than Jupyter
provides.

> ​> ​
> It would be good if the read .ipynb files can be run as a script within
> leo if they only contain python code,
> or using the ipython bridge when there is ipython code (a bit clumsy to
> have to start leo from the command
> ​ ​
> line in this case).
> Of course, the written back .ipynb files need to remain compatible with
> jupyter.
>
> ​Interesting idea. The present .ipynb importer is just that: only an
> importer.  Perhaps a post-pass could massage the imported nodes into a more
> useful form, squirreling away less useful data somewhere for eventual use
> by the exporter.

That's what I had in mind too.

> ​
>
> ​> ​
> I also would like to see features, to export selectively certain sections
> to Latex:
> Jupyter can export to Latex too, but I found a 1:1 copy not useful for
> inclusion into a paper.
> I need more control over the latex output, and by latex I mean not only
> formulas.
> I would like to export some text and output of calculations (tables,
> graphics) to latex snippets,
> which would then be \input to a latex document.
>
> ​As always,
>  the most general and flexible solution to such problems is a custom
> script, which by definition can do anything.
>

> Having said that, it is simpler to define some kind of framework for
> specifying desired parts of text.  This could be done using additional
> markup.  Would this be useful? If so, I would glad to help you with such a
> project.

In principle I like the idea of such a framework (may be more general than
just for work with latex documents).

Thinking more about it, I don't think I want to just export, but whatever
ends up in latex must be in @clean trees, because my co-workers may end up
editing these files too, so I need round-tripping.
For that, @clean seems to suit best, but I have difficulties to organize
the @clean nodes in a fashion that reflects the document tree semantically.
Latex files can be split by \input statements,
but these may not be all on the same hierarchical level, but could even be
nested, while @clean nodes cannot be nested as far as I know.
If nested @clean nodes ever become viable, great. In the meantime I stick
to having the @clean nodes all on the same level and linking them to the
nodes in the document tree, where they are \input.

- Josef