I always expected the focused pane would be c.p, all other panes would have
no explicit reference other than being +/- N positions from c.p. I'm not
sure I see the benefit of giving them a programmatic reference. The
potential downside is serious, needing to wrap a more complicated model
around Leo's existing model.

Your get-it-out-the-door solution is the simplest solution and therefor
probably the best option.

I can't wait to see what you're able to come up with. As discussed in Feb,
it could be a game changer for many applications. I'm really excited about
cell based (or node based in Leo's case) jupyter-notebook and org-mode
style interactions within Leo.