I've been pouring through the syntax highlighting code and I think I've
actually come up with a pretty elegant solution: custom highlighting rules

The QSyntaxHighlighter is likely the best option for this. Basically rather
than matching a regex syntax in a headline you would use the newly proposed
directive *@highlight*. So for the simplest example, as it relates to
clone-find-all and clone-find-flat, given the search term LeoHighlighter
the Found collection node would include the directive @highlight
LeoHightligher. The syntax highlighter would then either highlight or
underline for every instance of the string "LeoHighlighter".

It feels very Leonine (directive based) and also self-explanatory/literate
as the verb highlight is very explicit.

I'd like to get some feedback, I would like to start to try to develop this
idea, but sort of want to get it blessed before I really start studying the
highlight code.