especially Leo and Emacs (org mode) and Jupyter. See #477
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/477>.

2. Provide all significant features of org mode and Jupyter within Leo. See
#414 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/414>.

I considered a client/server architecture for Leo. I am going to reject
that approach for now.  Jupyter provides those capabilities if desired.

*Actions*

My plan is simple: to read the *user* docs for org mode, ipython and
jupyter, looking for features that Leo presently lacks.  There is little
point in reading *dev* docs for these programs, except in special
circumstances.  Leo's "ecology" is significantly richer than other IDE's,
so the implementation of features within Leo will be quite different from
in Emacs or IPython/Jupyter, again, except for special cases.

*Consequences*

The browser world continues to develop at a rapid pace, but I see little
advantage in trying to do Leo in a browser.  The security implications
alone seem daunting.  Instead, I'll continue to focus on the python world,
looking for continuous incremental improvement.

Reading the user docs has already given me several ideas:

- As Kent (and others) have requested, it would be good to support
@language python2 and @language python3, to support specific interpreters.

- Ctrl-B (execute-script) should execute languages other than python in
separate processes. This includes JavaScript.  And Ctrl-B should could also
be extended to run python scripts in a separate process.  This should be
straightforward.  Leo already has the infrastructure to run pylint in a
separate process.

- It *might* be good to supply arguments to scripts, as in org mode
#+BEGIN_SRC blocks.

- Providing some IPython/Jupyter features will almost certainly be a good
idea.

*Conclusions*

For the foreseeable future Leo will remain a desktop app, based on Python,

My focus will be on better cooperation and competition with org mode and
IPython/Jupyter.

2018 may see the completion of the work discussed here.  I have no plans to
stop working on Leo.