On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 05:51:32 -0600
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> It's more a question of BLOB management than visualization.  Leo lets
> > you manage hundreds or thousands of little bits of text.  That's
> > impressive.  So can that same management extend to keeping track of
> > binary formats.
>
> Would supporting binary file types in the recursive import script
> help?

I don't think so - I don't think the goal is to shadow or mirror the
full file system, just to manage some BLOBs with Leo's multiple views
of information capability.

Thought is that if you're using Leo you're probably leaning towards the
"everything should be a text file" philosophy.  A document is done with
markdown or LaTeX or whatever.  An analysis is done in a script, not
some spreadsheet where there's no record of manipulations and mistakes
may be invisible.  But you can't escape BLOBs entirely.  Things like
SVG and PDF have their uses.  So I see BLOBs in Leo as the occasional
exception to the generally text based workflow.

For example writing a paper with a figure - the figure may be inserted
with the relevant markdown syntax, but the SVG will be edited with
Inkscape - it would be nice if that BLOB could be associated with the
markdown node that uses it and an edit / update cycle for the figure
triggered from the node without having to go to the file system in a
shell or whatever.

Cheers -Terry