Bingo!  That did it.  Thanks for the noooobie-oriented instruction steps
that assumed no prior knowledge.  Sometimes that's what it takes.  The only
part that was unclear me (just for future reference) was 'its own
directory'.  Huh? What directory is its own?  So I made a leap of faith,
stuck the zip file in ~ (which fortunately I knew of) and let it create its
own Leo-5.6 directory as it unzipped.  This only required a modicum of
prior knowledge and a guess that this is as good a place as any for it.  I
only say all this in case it helps someone help another rank newbie some
time. :)  Thanks again, I'll dive in from here and no doubt will be back
with more questions.  And by the way the simple statement, "Anaconda
provides a python environment and Leo is a python program" was a good thing
to say to me.  Perspective on the big picture is good and gives me the
first step in a grip on what's going on.  These are the kinds of prior
knowledge that is assumed in most installation instructions.
Maybe there needs to be two sets of instructions, one for newbies that very
briefly but clearly fills in almost all of the knowledge gaps and the other
for the experienced person who only needs a few bare bones to understand
what to do.  In my opinion the Arch Linux wiki is one of the best of the
best in documentation.  Anything you don't understand probably has a link
to further explanation, which in turn has links if you need even more
concepts explained.  Some day I'll install Arch, but not yet.
Andy