On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:43 AM, lewis <lewisn...@operamail.com> wrote:

> TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'
>
> I found this at stackoverflow: In Python 3 (but not in Python 2), str and
> bytes are distinct types that can't be mixed. You can't write a str
> directly to a socket; you have to use bytes.

​Good work, Lewis.  Everything is hard at first for newbies, but you are
doing what you can.

In Leo, the best way (usually) to convert from a string to bytes type is
with:

  b = g.toEncodedString(aString)

This handles differences between python 2 and 3, and handles error checking
when aString.encode throws an exception. It also works when aString is
already a bytes object.

Similarly, g.toUnicode(obj) is the best way to convert from bytes to
unicode.

You might like to look at these two very important functions.

HTH.