On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm, if Anaconda's the source of Python on your system, not sure if it
> makes sense to install virtualenv "in" Anaconda.  conda can manage
> environments itself, like virtualenv, and I'd expect things to get
> weird if you mix them.

​Ah.  I see.  Thanks for this.

Guess I'd google
> ​​
> "virtualenv in (ana)conda"

​The consensus is that virtualenv and Anaconda don't mix. ​

> But unless you really need virtualenv for something, use conda
> environments:
>
> https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tasks/manage-environments.html

​Ok.  I'll put that on the list of things to study.​

If you end up rebuilding, I would not install anaconda at all, just
> miniconda.  You don't need Python 2 and Python 3 installs, as both
> Python 2 and Python 3 installs can create environments that use the
> other version of Python, i.e. a Python 3 environment can be created by
> Python 2 based conda, and visa versa.

​This is fascinating. ​It would be a major change for me.

Won't I have to install lots of packages if I use miniconda?

It appears I have no option but to rebuild my Python 3 environment.  Now
would be a good time to play with various install options.

Many thanks for your help, Terry.