On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:02:08 -0800 (PST)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only strange thing so far is that the Miniconda installer
> recommended *not* putting Miniconda3 on the path.  Actually, it's
> essential to do so, unless you use the Miniconda console.  And you
> have to put both Miniconda3 and Miniconda3/scripts on the path.

Perhaps it feels it's impolite to modify the path and block access to
the "system" Python, e.g. as installed by a download from python.org.
In Linux it seems to make sense not to put it on the path, I just

export PATH=/home/tbrown/miniconda2:$PATH

when I want to activate a conda environment.

Cheers -Terry