Yeah, proximity can be a huge boost. (Meetings? not so much!).

A long time ago I had a really good friend and collaborator. We worked in
same office and all kinds of wonderful things spewed out of us. He moved to
a different building. Our friendship stayed fast but the collaborative work
was never the same and eventually petered to nothing.  Where I am now a
co-worker merely moved from one side of a wall to another, but we can see
each other now, and we're discovering new areas where we could and should
be sharing info and data and tools almost every week. It helps that we sit
about the same place on the intro/extrovert scale.

matt