> I can't find assoc.exe in the source code for Leo. Where is it? What does
> it do?

I do find in the *scripts* folder within the Leo source code files
> *register-leo.leox* and *unregister-leo.leox *- these handle Windows
> Registry entries for using *launchLeo.py* for a simple one of the (many!)
> scenarios supported by Microsoft. Are these scripts deprecated, or are they
> in active use?

`assoc.exe` ships with Windows. It's usually used in concert with
`ftype.exe`. See
http://leoeditor.com/installing.html#creating-windows-file-associations
"Method 2" for example usage. The (un)register leo scripts basically just
execute those commands, plus some logic for elevated privileges, wrapped in
Leo for ease of use.

As for active use, I don't know if anyone besides myself have used them. I
know they're broken right now, a unicode error (#779
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/779>), but once that is
fixed I believe them to be still viable.

matt