Do you happen to know if it's feasible to use QML widgets in Leo?  I don't
know either Qt or QML, but much of the PyQt code I see in Leo looks very
painful, a steep learning curve to climb.  I remember when I wrote my
Matplotlib graphics plotting and calculator program, finding out how to do
even simple things in Matplotlib gave me fits.  It's mostly because there
is so much *stuff* in there, it's hard to find what you really need to do
and how to do the details.  It's obviously similar for Qt, and for similar
reasons.

Maybe QML would reduce that learning and coding effort.  OTOH, it looks
like it's much easier to use QML with PySide rather than PyQt.  I have no
idea if QML widgets constructed using PySide would be compatible with Qt
widgets instantiated with PyQt.