On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 2:30:25 PM UTC-4, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> *Other panes*
>
> Most IDE's support lots and lots of other views.  It's an open question
> how useful these would be in Leo.

Rather than focus entirely on usefulness (which is always important to
focus on) it is also important to consider what this would me
architecturally. Supporting views requires considering how "panes" are
represented programmatically. Acting on this might hopefully bring with it
a simplification of the code for window configuration and would likely also
aid *Non-outline tabs *or tabbed windowing in general.

As a point of comparison, take a look at emacs's buffer system. In emacs a
buffer and a pane are separate concepts, panes being views into buffers.
You can close a pane but it will not close the buffer. Because you can
modify/eliminate views without losing the underlying content emacs windows
tend to be quite fluid in their layout with panes appearing when needed and
disappearing/closed when not needed anymore, but with their respective
buffers remaining if needed again. It allows for saving a view history and
being able to navigate backwards and forward through the views.

This level of modularity and separation may not be necessary. I've never
been unhappy with Leo's window configuration options. Leo has a unique
interaction paradigm (file nodes and the tree), such that I haven't
particularly missed views. But that doesn't mean that the user experience
wouldn't benefit from them.