On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 8:54 AM, vitalije <vitali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But if you want to demonstrate the new data model in a separate git
>> branch, I won't reject it without study, provided it passes all unit tests.
>>

>> At the very least, your work would fix #942, which is something that I
>> don't particularly want to do now.
>>
>> For now, if I can, I would like to do something new.
>>
>> Edward
>>

> What makes you think that I would do something like that under all these
> conditions and knowing your general attitude towards new data model?

Several reasons.

1. It's the only way to convince me, or anyone else, that the new data
model can be integrated into Leo.  The demo is a good start, but we need
working code within Leo.

2. I am starting to warm up to the model.  I'm still concerned about
duplicating table entries when cloning, and I am still concerned about the
complexity of the code, but if everything works there would be some
benefits to the new model.

3. You and Terry will be the ones maintaining the code after I am gone.  I
trust you, Vitalije, to be able to handle the code.  Will Terry feel
comfortable with the new code?  We have to see it in context to know for
sure.

4. I want to see exactly how compatibility with existing scripts is
handled.  I see now that it is not essential to keep the Position and VNode
classes, but Leonine scripting must work *as if* the old classes were in
place.  I would need to see the exact code.  Python properties probably
make this kind to switcheroo easier than I first imagined.

5. Fixing #942 isn't your responsibility, but you claim that screen redraw
is a big motivation for the new model. It would be good to see exactly how
you would handle redraw.

​I will understand if you don't want to carry on at present.  But on third
thought I do think the new data model might work.  I won't reject it out of
hand.