On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
Phil <phil.s....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, it's helpful. But the notion of a reference file
> begs the question of who maintains *that* file. In my project, both
> my partner and I are continually creating new content, which means
> that we would both need to make changes to the reference file. This
> impedes the efficiency that we could achieve by working concurrently
> - we would instead need to take turns updating the reference file.
>
> Maybe I'm still missing something?

I'd do something like this:

 - each have your own Leo file, which is your personal view of the
   project, so the fact they're different might be quite convenient.
 - use something like the active_path plugin (or a script / button
   whatever) to make adding references to new external files trivial.
   In the case of the active_path plugin you just double click the
   directory node to show unloaded files in that directory.
 - if you want to backup you personal Leo files in the shared git repo.
   you could, in some folder like .../etc/usr/phil/SomeProject.leo and
   .../etc/usr/philscollaborator/TheProject.leo
 - or you could see that perhaps the .leo file is surprisingly low
   value, depending on what you put in it, the low chance of losing it
   and the ease of recreating it with the above active_path etc.
   approach might make it not worth backing up
 - if your storing to do items or using @clean with edited node
   arrangements or similar you will want to back up the .leo file,
   either in the shared git repo. or some other way, perhaps your
   systems regular nightly backup ;-)

Cheers -Terry