Funny you should bring up a third dimension, I've been experimenting
with something along these lines, although not within Leo :-/  No
doubt inspired by various discussions on this list (sea of nodes,
colored threads, Kent's mysterious extra dimensions :-).  Data model
is basically a set of nodes shared between a set of graphs.  So nodes
might be things like a reference to a filesystem file, or a todo item,
or some notes, and the graphs might have names like "Files", "Todo",
"Kanban", "Tests", "Docs". The idea is that the same nodes can
participate in different graphs.  Data's stored in a DB.

I haven't got very far yet, basically trying to work out if this can
be visualized with a tree (specifically, can you represent more than
on graph in the same tree), and how to do that.