Hi,

On 2/1/19 7:22, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> In another thread Offray suggests adding live coding features to Leo
> and python.  This would be very cool.
>
> Googling "live coding in python" yields a Don Kirby's plugin
> <https://donkirkby.github.io/live-py-plugin/>that apparently does
> exactly that for emacs, eclipse and pycharm.  Leo should have this!
> This is a top priority for me.

The video looks pretty good. Maybe this dual panel view for supporting
live coding would be an interesting alternative approach to what
IPython/Jupyter has to offer for interactive documentation in a Leo way.
I imagine that some values should be carried between Leo outlines, to
keep modularity of code by splitting it in particular nodes (ala Leo)
and memory of the executed values across several nodes.

The video[1] doesn't make any reference to Bret's Victor inventing on
principle[2], and of course there are several authors working of this,
particularly in the music scene. But is interesting to see that Kirby
mention also the idea of freeing the author to write code in a more
creative way instead of playing the computer in his/her head, as says
Victor. I wonder how live coding music would look, if made ala Leo :-).

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdr2l3yNFH4
[2] http://worrydream.com/#!/InventingOnPrinciple

The idea of the Leo way to live coding, would be pretty interesting,
informed on what is happening elsewhere, but not trying to emulate it.
As Edward said in another thread, the idea is not not attract
programmers that are already using other editors by making Leo
embeddable into them, but offering interesting features to attract the
attention of top coders. Live coding ala Leo would be one of those
offerings to add to Leo's unique value proposal.

Cheers,

Offray