I would like the idea to have a separate mbox file per message, although
import from a mail reader or MTA would probably be in form of a single mbox
for the whole inbox.
The mbox-per-message approach should also lead to the ability link from
other programs to a single message, something I have only found in the
thunderlink plugin for thunderbird so far (and it is half broken since last
Thunderbird upgrade). For the latter to work each node needs a unique,
**immutable** ID, which does not change when the position of the node (or
the associated mbox file) changes. Actually, this "file per message"
approach is used by Maildir folders (not sure if any up-to-date mail client
uses this), and partially by MH. MH is fast and uses numbers for file
names, but unfortunately the numbers change when a file is moved to a
different folder, which means you do not have an immutable handle to keep
tracking it. I don't know enough about Maildir format. Claws-Mail readme
claims it is slower than the MH format.

Please note, that sorting files in a tree structure is not necessarily the
best way to organize messages. I would use a very flexible tagging approach
(needs to be able to support tenth if not hundreds of tags), since tags
often overlap, but it becomes cumbersome to create clones for each
duplicate filing of a node. I am not sure if Leo's tags plugin is suitable
for this. Remember that you are likely to handle many more mail messages
than other nodes. I have folders with tenth of thousands of messages!

And what about encryption, handling TNEF attachments, etc? Seems like a big
job to me.