On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 8:28:22 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:
>
> > Neither Leo's code base nor Leo's ecosystem will change in any
> incompatible way.
>
> I plan to experiment with using a QDockWidget at Leo's top level.  As
> mentioned recently, the QDockWidget is not as flexible as I would
> like. One trick might be to use a tiny/invisible central widget, with
> the goal of allowing more flexible placements of *all* widgets.  An
> easy, standalone, prototype will soon show whether this has any
> chance of working.
>
> Using QDockWidget in any way *might* require changes to plugins that
> put widgets in Leo's Log pane. I'll consider making such widgets
> dockable, provided of course that Leo does, in fact, ever use
> QDockWidget.

I had done, meh, 72% of this work in the qdock-layout branch, not to be
confused with the qt_docks branch, an earlier attempt that didn't get
as far.

It's not that hard if you ignore Kent, who will want persistence of
multiple named layouts.  Unfortunately he's right, having to rearrange
your workspace every time you start is unacceptable, and persistence
makes it much harder.

At least you can avoid my earlier mistake of failing to properly
understand QMainWindow.saveState().  I spent a lot of time with
complicated code trying to save and restore the layout myself with
QDockWidget's rather limited API, before realizing the
QMainWindow.saveState() was what I needed.

I never completed the project because of what was, for me, an
insurmountable amount of complexity in initialization with find and
spell tabs in the log pane etc.