Leo already has reasonable CSV support via the "edit-pane-csv" command,
thanks to Terry.
This could be improved if the CSV header line could be "frozen", so it
shows even when scrolling down in the CSV table.

IMHO, this is of limited use unless one can also scroll horizontally, hide
columns, filter rows etc. You end up with a large subset of Excel. I
usually use LibreOffice calc for this, although it too has annoying
misfeatures, like automatic spelling correction and type (date, number)
recognition, which makes it a pain to use on plain CSV files.

For storing structured data in a text file I find JSON acceptable and YAML
too complicated. I myself prefer Lua files to store structured data, and
read it into Python with the lupa module (the data files return a table
with "return {...}", so it becomes easy to read them with dofile and to
check the syntax with lua. This works well when the data is to be edited by
hand, especially when your data is better represented in a tree than in a
table.

For large, programmatically generated databases, better use a real SQL or
NoSQL database to store the data.

It would be interesting to use Leo as a database front-end, like Edward
suggests (I currently use "DB Browser for SQLite" for this purpose).
Perhaps the Leo would be more suited as a front-end to NoSQL databases,
though.

- Josef