On Tue, 14 May 2019 03:50:46 -0700 (PDT)
"Edward K. Ream" <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone think AsciiDoctor is a bad idea?

I think it's easy to argue that there are better (more expressive /
extensible) text dialects than markdown.  restructuredText is an obvious
example.

The problem is that markdown's what everyone uses / expects.  So the
downside to anything that's not markdown is that people won't know it,
whereas they would know markdown.

Pandoc markdown has enough extensions to allow research papers to be
written in it (tables, figures, captions, citations, cross references
etc.) but it's more a collection of plugins adopting assorted
variations than a coherent whole.

I wish restructuredText or something like it had won the text markup
war and not markdown, but it didn't.

I haven't used asciiDoc but I've heard of it often enough to think it's
a persistent ecosystem, it's just a matter of balancing functionality
with familiarity across possible contributors.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leo-editor/20190514084648.65712dd5%40lakeview.