On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 12:45 PM Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 11:18 AM Terry Brown <terrynbr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > - A central widget allows the user to drag dock widgets to any area at
>> any time.  Without a central widget you can only drag a widget to an area
>> that already contains a dock.  Once an area becomes empty it can't be used!
>>
>> but I never found using only one area to be a constraint - all possible
>> arrangements were still possible.  My approach explicitly used only one
>> area, and you can't pull the last dock out of a nest of docks, so there was
>> never an empty window issue.
>>

> Chris George already as indicated that he wants to undock/float all his
> widgets. My experiments show that having a central widget will reduce
> significant confusion.

I spent a lot of time on this, so I'm fairly confident a central widget is
not needed and not helpful.  For Chris, you start with three docked
widgets, in the same dock area, mimicking the vanilla Leo layout.  Just
drag two of them out, separately, and you have all your widgets undocked (3
top level windows).  You can drag any one of them back into a docked
relationship with any other.  If one of them was a central widget, you
wouldn't be able to freely re-dock between arbitrary pairs of windows, and
it would be really confusing.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/leo-editor/CAFPg46R12xh%3D4y4ywDxuQO-z468MRhV%2BdpP7ZLgq%2BEujFucNHg%40mail.gmail.com.