When we talked about this previously I looked at
https://pythonhosted.org/blinker/  and it seemed quite good, trying to find
it again I
also see
https://github.com/dgovil/PySignal
"A purely Python implementation of the Qt signal system with no QObject
dependencies"
if you want to think about something that doesn't tie you to Qt / allows a
null-gui Leo state machine kind of thing.

Cheers -Terry