in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/leo-editor/oQwOLKtiAlg/XfKuuBhUBgAJ
Xavier recommended using Discourse instead of Google Groups for Leo
discussion:

* I think it would really great for our community if we moved our
> discussions to a real modern forum like Discourse
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.discourse.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHKaBBwilcfJgs5OXYz1XxGk_uSug>,
>
> as Python and many other communities have already done.*
>
> *This post from the Python forum
> <https://discuss.python.org/t/is-this-really-better-than-a-mailing-list/57>
> gives
> some explanations of the particular benefits/features of Discourse, though
> it is in response to someone comparing it to a simple mailing list.*
>
> *But some of the greatest features that they don't mention there which I
> think would really benefit our community are:*
>
>    - *Easy refactoring of forum threads! Moderators can easily move
>    off-topic posts to a new thread, so the current topic can be kept focused,
>    without losing any contributions. This is for me a feature that sets
>    Discourse apart from any other forum software (and I've looked at many).*
>    - *Easy creation of polls!*
>
> *Though there are probably many more that I even yet don't know.*
>
> *I stongly feel that we have to move forward as a Team and Discourse could
> be a game changer in many ways.*

Myself, I've had a good experience with Discourse elsewhere and would be
happy to use it. (Some of the initial badge notifications are a bit
excessive and noisy but that disappears quickly). The browser editing
experience is excellent. Refactoring of threads would be awesome.

I see two major challenges:

(a) Free hosting for open source
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/> projects
must be applied for and is reviewed on a case by case basis. Leo has a
small community so might not fit "*a tool to host discussion at scale". *Self
hosting would cost ~$60 USD/yr + setup, and someone would need to commit to
maintaining it for the long haul.

(b) The Google Group has a lot of history and is a major resource when
answering questions. I wouldn't want to talk about things in one place and
research in another. There is conflicting info on whether the free hosting
supports imports (I've asked
<https://meta.discourse.org/t/free-hosting-for-open-source-v2/101940/12?u=maphew>

for clarification).

-matt