This posts discusses my plans for support for black and orange.

*Remove all of Leo's black-related commands*

They don't work, and can't be made to work reliably without support in
black itself for Leo's syntax.  This is unlikely ever to happen.  I'll move
the old code into Leo's attic, leo/doc/leoAttic.txt, so that it will be
easily available without using git.

*Support blackened sentinels*

Leo's present sentinels contain no space between the opening comment
delimiter and the '@' sign that denotes the possible start of a sentinel.
Alas, black inserts a space, thereby destroying Leo's ability to read the
external file.

It should be possible to allow exactly one optional space in delimiters
just by changing the regex's in fast_at.get_patterns in leoAtFile.py.  This
work will be done in a new sentinels branch.

If this work succeeds, it will be possible to blacken any external file
using black itself.  Black will know nothing about Leo's sentinels, because
they are comments.  If the work fails, then it would be safe only to
blacken external files created by @auto, @clean, @nosent and @asis.

*Beautify all of Leo's files, in stages*

First, I'll disable the new line-breaking code used by beautify-tree.  When
all files look good, I'll experiment with breaking lines.  When that works,
I'll experiment with joining works. Some of the work can be done in devel.
The new beauty branch will contain more experimental work.

*Summary*

Leo's black* commands must be removed. They don't work, and can't be made
to work.

#1321 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/1321>: Leo's
fast-read code should be able to handle blackened sentinels. The *sentinels
branch* will contain this work.

#1322 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/1322>: I'll beautify
all of Leo's sources, in stages.  The *beauty branch* will contain the more
experimental parts of this work.