"Vanilla" LaTeX systems tend to use `pdflatex` to process things, and don't
understand unicode inputs without extra fiddling.  If you use XeTeX
(`xelatex`), it assumes unicode by default and makes things simpler - in a
lot of cases it can be a drop in replacement.  I think TeXLive supports
either, pandoc can certainly use either.

It's really bad when you go from 27 μg/L nitrate (micro-grams per liter) in
your drinking water to 27 g/L because LaTeX doesn't render the μ :-S

Cheers -Terry