I have not used to most recent release of emacs from 1985, this was the
year GNU Emacs was released. I can't say for sure if it was feature
complete enough to support Leo. Also, keep in mind that org-mode was only
created in 2003. As far as time-travel experiments go I think there would
have been a reasonable chance you would not have been content with Richard
Stallman's pace or direction of the project. It's very possible that had
you had today's knowledge you would have forked away from GNU Emacs. XEmacs
seems like anecdotal proof that such an eventuality could have occurred.