On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Segundo Bob <segundo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think changing the user id is a bad solution.

Alright then.  That idea is dead.

> My preferences are as follows from most preferable to least preferable.
>

> 1) Eliminate the generation of a GNX before reading a file.

Hmm.  I wasn't aware that Leo did that.  Why does this cause problems?

Since the hidden root node always has GNX hidden-root-vnode-gnx, the
> motivation for this GNX generation is very mysterious to me.

Me too :-)

It seems reasonable to me, that if a file exists, then it should be read
> before generating any GNX that might affect Leo-Editor's handling of the
> file.  If the file is read and all of its GNX's are known, then avoiding
> duplicates is a solved problem.

I'll look into this.

2) Replace the current non-random GNX with a pseudo-random UUID.

We discussed this at length several years ago.  It is not guaranteed to
eliminate all gnx conflicts, though it probably would help.

> you seem emotionally committed to your non-random GNX's, even
> though, so far as I know, no one has ever made any significant use of
> the information they contain.

I am willing to *add* data such as uuid's to gnx's, but not to *remove*
data.

I use the "non-random" part of gnx's, (the user id and timestamp) when
investigating mysteries. Imo, it would be a bad mistake to toss that data.

I look forward to your fix of this important-to-me problem.  No matter
> what your fix is.

I see that #1348 <https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/1348> is
closed.  In the last comment you congratulated Brian on his sleuthing, so I
am surprised that the issue is still alive for you.

Please create a new issue, referencing #1348 summarizing, as briefly as
possible, the present state of affairs.  I am happy to do what I can to
help.