On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 5:28 AM Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 10:49 PM Brian Theado <brian.the...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *>> Prefer functions to classes/methods*
>
> > The TokenOrderTraverser class looks to me like a good opportunity to
> follow the above principle. AFAICT, the way it is written, that class is
> ONLY useful if it is subclassed.
>
> True.

I'm guessing this is a response only to my 2nd sentence and not both
sentences?

> > For me, subclassing is usually extra friction and the resulting code is
> less clear.
>
> Without a class, you would have to implement visit as a callback.

Isn't the purpose of 'visit' to be able to loop over the nodes? Sounds like
the job of a for loop to me. No callbacks and no classes needed.

Having the traverse functionality reside in a method of TOT forces the user
to subclass. Extracting it into a separate function like
traverse_in_token_order allows the user to choose to use a for loop
instead. The TOT class can still exist. It would call the same
traverse_in_token_order convenience function. If the user want to do the
extra work of subclassing TOT, they still can.

Brian