I wonder if a couple of demos would help, "see how much better this is"
rather than "ask me about how much better this is".  Maybe a comparison
like: https://gist.github.com/kennethreitz/973705
which compares `urllib2` to `requests` code to do the same thing.
And perhaps some context like "I want to know if this seems like a
candidate for inclusion before I put together all the integrated docs. /
tests / implementation pull request" to make it obvious you not expecting
someone else to do all that.

A slightly different route might be to do the above demo / comparison stuff
in a fully fledged package on GitHub / pypi / readthedocs so that you can
get some feedback from people trying it out then propose getting into core
libs by referencing the package.  Maybe you've already started in that
direction, not sure.

Cheers -Terry