On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 11:40:23 AM UTC-5, Edward K. Ream wrote:

> I will certainly investigate using asttokens instead of the TOG class.

I only plan to compare how asttokens attaches token lists to nodes.
Actually, asttokens uses begin/end token indices instead of actually
creating variable-length lists of tokens.  The TOG does the same. For the
comparison I'll change the names of the ivars, so that the AstDumper class
in leoAst.py will report the token lists created by *asttokens.*

> "Can the Fstringify class in leoAst.py use ast.walk?"

Clearly, the answer is "yes", because all ast.Binop nodes (and their
associated tokens) are disjoint. Actually changing the code would be make
work.

The surprises recorded in this post are *good* news. The work so far has
> not been wasted:
>
> - It has been intensely enjoyable.
> - It has produced what imo is the best possible definition of token order.
> - It has given me expert's eyes, and created expert-level questions.

I forgot to mention the big improvements in TDD that result from using
pytest and "traditional" unit tests. I have just created #1478
<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/issues/1478>: deprecate @test
nodes.