Am Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2020 23:50:11 UTC+1 schrieb andyjim:

I must frankly admit that the only reason I am barking up the zettelkasten
> tree is that I have failed to run across a better system

You never played with Wikis? Or generally Hypertext?

though of course not a replica of Luhmann's.

Yes, that's the problem. When you won't go by the book, then focusing on
Luhmann has no real purpose anyway, for this the system is just to
simplified.
You better focus on the general area where his systems is located to find
inspirations and answers. Which would mean Wiki, Hypertext, graphs and
outliners.

Or are you specifically interessted in his addressing-system?

But in general you are not wrong here. Leo Editor can be used that way,
even though it's not be the best for this. But it's not the worst either.
It depends on how you polish it and yourself. Using Leo in a way to copy
Luhmanns Zettelkasten could be done with 2-3 Simple functions. All you need
is something to get the reference of node, and something to got from a link
in text to the referenced node. First one is quite simple, just add an
entry to the context-menu to get the leo-internal id. Second one could be
achived by reusing the existing Hyperlink-Click-function and add support
for links with leo:// as protocol. Then the rest is up to you to use it and
fill your box.

But if you really aim to make proper use of Leo for this, I would advice
you to learn at least some basic programing with leo. It's quite helpful to
be able to import/export and sanitize your data automatically. Just be
careful and make enough backups. Python is otherwise really simple to
handle. And if you are comfortable enough with it, you can add more tools
to handle your box.

you could save us quite a lot of wasted effort reinventing the wheel when
> the wheel apparently is not that good to begin with.

The wheel is as good as the driver using it. There is no magic software
(yet) which can solve all those problems for you. At the end it always
depends on the personal demand and abilities. Notetaking and
knowledgemanagment is so personal; everyone has different demand, different
habits and reasoning, different skills. From my experience, any workflow
must be forged by the user themself over a long time. You can collect as
many tools as you want, as long as you don't know how to wield them, they
are worthless.

Though, it's true that starting simple is usually better. So maybe that's
what people drive to Luhmanns Zettelkasten?